The animal bond is a fairly common Shanir trait. Some bonds are spontaneous while it seems that others can be developed in a more deliberate fashion or as a result of a continuing relationship with an animal.
Most animal bonds are with specific individual animals, but some Shanir seem to have an affinity for types of animals as a whole and attract them. This seems to be the case for the boy Gari, who attracts insects according to his mood, and for Randiroc, who is always accompanied by Crown Jewels.
- Jame, with Jorin, an ounce
- Adric, with Brithany, a Whinno-hir
- The Falconer, with his hawk
- Nightshade, with Addy, an adder
- Tarn, with Torvo, a Molocar
- Gari, with swarms of insects
- Dure, with a trog
- Drie, with a carp
- Randiroc, with a flight of Crown Jewels
- Kinzi, with Bel-tairi, a Whinno-hir
- Mouse, with the two mice, Mick and Mack