Bear is Sheth Sharp-tongue's brother. Once an amazing randon, he suffered grievous head wounds in the Battle of the White Hills but survived. He taught as a teacher at Tentir until he mauled a cadet. After that, he was kept in a locked suite of rooms in Tentir, for fear of his hurting randon candidates. Sheth eventually set him free in Honor's Paradox.
Bear, like Jame, is an Arrin-thari, a Shanir with claws; he is the only other living Arrin-thari so far encountered. His claws are three inches long on his hands, and too long to retract; he also has toe claws, which Jame does not.
He has some children.
- ↑ To Ride a Rathorn, "Chapter VII: In the Bear's Den", I — " 'We call him Bear,' he said."
- ↑ Bound in Blood, "Chapter X: Noontide Ghosts", II — "Before the White Hills, Bear had been the Caineron war-leader, a great randon. Afterward, Sheth had seen him move on the pyre, among the flames, and had pulled him out. Did he regret that now?"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 To Ride a Rathorn, "Chapter VII: In the Bear's Den", I — " 'The new lord of his house didn't want him shambling around his precious keep, so the college took him in. After all, he was… is… one of us. For awhile, he even taught the Arrin-thar. […] He was confined because he mauled a cadet to death. Never mind that the fool had been taunting him all winter, as we found out later.' "
- ↑ To Ride a Rathorn, "Chapter VII: In the Bear's Den", I — " 'He was one of us. The best. Until the White Hills when a war axe did… that.' "
- ↑ Honor's Paradox, "Chapter XVI: Tests", II — " 'Worst of all, though, Father can strike at Sheth’s nephews and nieces in the service, some of them Bear’s children.' "