Master Chardin is the Lord of the Shining Court of the Thieves' Guild of Tai-tastigon, and thus one of the five top officials under the Sirdan Theocandi. The Shining Court assesses the value of fur, fabric, and works of art.
Master Chardin is considered the only one of the appointed officials of the Guild who would have nothing to fear if the Sirdan was overthrown because he was considered "supremely competent". He is a thin, balding young man, who lives for his work and the pleasure of seeing and handling the beautiful things that pass through his court.
Jame said no one knew who Chardin could vote for, though Darinby and Men-dalis thought for Theocandi. When the time came, Chardin came to the Conclave of Electors, but then hearing that Carbinia was not voting, he was inspired to do the same, and left without voting.
- ↑ God Stalk, "Appendix I: The Thieves' Guild"
- ↑ God Stalk, Book II: Crown of Nights, "Chapter 7: The Feast of Fools"
- ↑ God Stalk, Book II: Crown of Nights, "Chapter 8: Voices of the Past" — " 'Theocandi can depend on Abbotir of the Gold Court […] and probably on Master Chardin too.' "
- ↑ God Stalk, Book II: Crown of Nights, "Chapter 11: The Storm Breaks" — "Masters Gold and Shining were Theocandi's; there was no helping that."
- ↑ God Stalk, Book III: Shroud of Days, "Chapter 12: A Flame Rising" — "Chardin, unhappily climbing the outer steps, heard that Mistress Silver had not come at all, choosing to abstain rather than vote for or against the man who had secured her son's life but not his freedom. 'Now why didn't I think of that?' said Master Shining to himself, and joyfully returned to his beloved workroom."
|Lords of the Five Courts|