A d'hen is a Tastigon flash-blade's jacket. They're worn belted. The sleeve of the dominant, knife-holding arm is tight, while the other sleeve is full, padded, and reinforced with steel mesh. This is to catch and turn an attacker's blade, making it in effect a light shield.
Young members of the Thieves' Guild tend to wear d'hens, generally in a signature color which may be associated with their family, Master or loyalties. Dally wears a royal blue d'hen, which is the color of his brother, Men-dalis, and the New Faction. Darinby, meanwhile, wears a cream velvet d'hen, and Jame constantly wears a black one.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 To Ride a Rathorn, "Glossary" — "D'hen: a knife-fighter's jacket, with one tight sleeve and one full, reinforced with steel mesh, to turn attacker's blade"
- ↑ To Ride a Rathorn, "Chapter IV: Testing", I — "a Tastigon flash-blade's d'hen."
- ↑ God Stalk, Book II: Crown of Nights, "Chapter 6: Water Flow, Fire Leap" — "hastily belting her spare d'hen,"
- ↑ God Stalk, Book III: Shroud of Days, "Chapter 13: Three Pyres" — "touching the sleeve of his royal blue d'hen. 'You shouldn't go around wearing his color, tonight of all nights.' "
- ↑ God Stalk, Book II: Crown of Nights, "Chapter 5: Winter Days" — "instantly recognizable by his cream-velvet d'hen"