In Seeker's Mask and To Ride a Rathorn, Hatch is known only as "the Challenger". Chingetai made him the Challenger, but he passed the role on to Jame to avoid it. Later that year, when Chingetai tries to do the ceremony again, Hatch does the same thing, passing off the ivy crown again. A year later, in Honor's Paradox, he tries to do that yet again, but Jame pushes back, and Hatch finally becomes the Earth Wife's Favorite.
Hatch wanted to marry Prid, but could not at the Favorite. When he became the Favorite, Jame married Prid instead, but they decided Hatch would move in with Prid, in her mother's old lodge. He will likely marry her as her second housebond when he has finished his time as the Favorite.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Seeker's Mask, "Part VIII: Kithorn" — " 'the Favorite traditionally fights to retain his position. See that nervous fellow in green? That's the Challenger, already in possession of the ivy crown.' "
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 To Ride a Rathorn, "Chapter XVIII: Solstice", I — "Jame recognized the substitute Favorite as the former Challenger—the one who had jammed the victor's ivy crown on her head and shoved her into the square in his place. […] When the Challenger glanced away for a moment, the Favorite snatched off his ivy crown, popped it onto the other's head, and threw himself on the ground. He had deliberately forfeited without a fight. Again."
- ↑ The Sea of Time, "Chapter III: Summer Solstice", I — "The summer solstice arrived eleven days later. In the north among the Merikit, the Earth Wife’s chosen one, Hatch, would fight to keep her favor. Jame wondered, though, if he would try very hard,"
- ↑ Bound in Blood, "Chapter XV: Winter's Eve", I — "The one carrying the bow, however, was a girl and the other a boy, the former around fourteen, the latter somewhat older."
- ↑ Seeker's Mask, "Part VIII: Kithorn" — " 'My God,' she said to the Challenger, who had just come up beside her. 'Now what?' In answer, the Merikit clapped the ivy crown on her head and shoved her between the torches, into the blue smoke of the square."
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Honor's Paradox, "Chapter XVIII: Summer's Eve", II — "He lunged at her, an ivy crown in his hand, and tried to plant it on her head. She blocked him with water-flowing, […] 'Who will protect Prid now? […] 'She failed as the Ice Maid of the Merikit. You ruined her reputation. You owe her recognition. I could give that to her as her housebond, but I can’t if I become the new Favorite.' "
- ↑ Honor's Paradox, "Chapter XIX: Challenge", I — " 'We decided,' Prid announced. 'Hatch may have new duties in the village as the Earth Wife’s Favorite, but he’s going to stay here with me. Now that I’m a lodge-wyf, no one will object—unless you do.' […] Prid would have company and Hatch, when she was ready, would have Prid."