- This article is about the Merikit language. For the Merikit people and culture, see Merikit.
The Merikit language is the language of the Merikit hill tribe.
In Seeker's Mask, in the sacred space during a Merikit rite, Jame found she could understand and speak Merikit, despite having never learned the language. After she left the sacred space, Jame found she could still understand—but not speak—Merikit. After that, she was able to learn Merikit fairly quickly in her time as the Earth Wife's Favorite, thanks to her Kencyr memory training. Index knows Merikit, having studied the Merikit as his specialty as a scrollsman. In Bound in Blood, Sheth called him to Tentir to give Jame lessons in the language before the Autumn Equinox. By Honor's Paradox, she speaks it well. Ashe also speaks Merikit, as does Gorbel.
- ↑ Seeker's Mask, "Part VIII: Kithorn" — " 'The Eaten One,' it said, in a different voice, in Merikit. 'I understood that!'—but then why shouldn't she? In this space sacred to gods not her own, ancestors only knew what might happen."
- ↑ Seeker's Mask, "Part VIII: Kithorn" — "Although sacred space had departed, Jame found that she didn't need Index's gleeful translation to understand; therefore, she knew what Chingetai was saying even when the old scrollsman broke off and began apparently to choke. 'No!' she cried, chagrined to discover that her new knowledge of Merikit didn't extend to speaking it."
- ↑ Bound in Blood, "Chapter XI: Equinox", III — "Jame listened closely. One odd consequence of her choice as Favorite was that she could understand the Merikit tongue, but not yet speak it. Already, though, her trained memory was storing up words and noting grammatical constructions."
- ↑ Bound in Blood, "Chapter XIV: Two Chests", IV — "She was surprised, though, that the Commandant had sent for the old scrollsman. […] For the next four days Index dogged her footsteps from class to class, drilling her on the Merikit language. […] Caineron cadets trotted after them calling, 'What's the Merikit word for "bum"?' […] Jame, luckily she already knew some Merikit, but her head still pounded like a drum at the end of each day."
- ↑ Seeker's Mask, "Part VIII: Kithorn" — "Sonny emerged from the shadows and stumbled toward the front corner where Ashe stood guard before Kirien. The singer spoke a word in Merikit and pointed at Jame."
- ↑ Bound in Blood, "Chapter XI: Equinox", III — "Sonny Boy shouted a mutilated word at her that could only be a curse. 'You,' said Gorbel in Merikit, standing up, swaying, 'keep that obscene tongue behind your rotten teeth.' "