Pereden is Adric's youngest son. During the Battle of the White Hills, all Adric's other sons were killed, save Pereden, who was too young then. As his lone surviving son, Pereden became Adric's favorite.
Pereden had several sons of his own. He had elder sons by consorts for other houses, and a younger son, Timmon, by his consort and half-sister Distan. Much to Distan's anger, he also had at least one bastard, half-Kendar son, Drie, and perhaps more. He was infamous for bedding Kendar.
Pereden served as Torisen's second-in-command when he was Commander of the Southern Host, though Harn did all the real work. When Torisen became Highlord, Pereden became Commander of the Southern Host.
When the Waster Horde started northwards during Dark of the Moon, Pereden led the Host out against them, against orders, in the belief that he could win a great victory; instead, the center column of the Host was destroyed and Pereden captured by the Changers who led the Horde. Pereden was convinced by them that he could defeat Torisen with their help. Instead, Pereden was captured after the Battle of the Cataracts and killed by Torisen in secret so that Adric need never know of his son's treachery.
- ↑ Honor's Paradox, "Chapter XI: Rain", V — "Timmon floundered up the slope toward it, holding the seared finger that was all that remained of Pereden Proud-prance,"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Dark of the Moon, "Chapter 4: First Blood" — " 'He did have nearly a year's training as my second-in-command.' With Harn doing all the actual work."
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 To Ride a Rathorn, "Chapter IV: Testing", II — " 'I just hope he doesn't have his father's taste for the Kendar, […] That damned Pereden could charm his way into any bed, for the sheer deviltry of it.' "
- ↑ To Ride a Rathorn, "Chapter XII: Unsheathed", V — " 'Because you [Ardeth] also produce strong Shanir, as we know to our grief from Pereden.' "
- ↑ Dark of the Moon, "Chapter 6: The High Council" — " 'He is the child of my old age, my last son. All the others died in the White Hills, fighting for your father. Sometimes I wish I had died with them.' "
- ↑ To Ride a Rathorn, "Chapter IX: School Days", II — " 'I may have older half-brothers, you see, but my parents were half-siblings, which counts for a lot in our house.' "
- ↑ Honor's Paradox, "Chapter XI: Rain", III — " 'Lady, Pereden was my father too, by a Kendar mother. Would you dishonor his choice of mates?' "
- ↑ Dark of the Moon, "Chapter 2: The Hell Hunt" — "And what about young Pereden, Ardeth's son, who had taken command after Torisen had left to become Highlord?"