- This article is about the Southron language. For other uses of the word "Southron", see Southron.
Southron appears to be the main language of Karkinor, spoken in both Karkinaroth and in Hurlen. Given it's name, it is likely commonly spoken elsewhere in the south as well. Brier speaks it as well, implying it's spoken it some capacity farther west.
It is related to Easternese enough that Jame, who speaks Easternese, can understand some Southron words from their resemblance to Easternese cognates, but is still distant enough that Jame can barely understand the soldiers who accost her in Hurlen.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Seeker's Mask, "Part IV: Restormir", V — " ' "Gricki," ' muttered Brier, translating the Southron word: ' "filth." ' "
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Dark of the Moon, "Chapter 9: The Haunted Palace" — " 'My lady calls me Gricki.' Jame repeated the name with distaste. It was uncomfortably close to the Easternese word for excrement. […] From the way she spat out the nickname, Jame knew that it meant the same thing in Southron as in Easternese."
- ↑ Dark of the Moon, "Chapter 14: Gathering Forces" — "the noise settled into a chant, one Southron word repeated over and over. Jame recognized it from its Easternese cognate. 'Highness!' the soldiers were shouting. 'Highness!' "
- ↑ Dark of the Moon, "Chapter 14: Gathering Forces" — "a few soldiers did accost them in Southron, which Jame barely understood, with intentions all too clear;"