Taniscent is, at the beginning of God Stalk, the Res aB'tyrr's resident dancer. On the morning after the Feast of Dead Gods , Jame is awakened by Boo, the inn's cat. Tanis appears a moment later and after making Boo leave the room, she introduces herself to Jame. She describes the effects of Jame's unexpected entrance with great relish, and tells her that she's been sleeping for thirteen days.
Jame falls asleep after a short while; when she awakens again, she sees a much younger-appearing Taniscent leaving the room. When Jame gets out of bed and makes a spectacular entrance into the kitchen, she meets the widow Cleppetty and asks about Taniscent.
Cleppetty becomes very upset and runs up the stairs, but Taniscent has already left. When Cleppetty returns, she tells Jame that Tanis has been using Dragon's Blood, a drug that gives the appearance of youth at the cost of accelerated real aging. According to the widow, Tanis started taking the drug when she was twenty because she felt that her age was ruining her dancing. The widow suspected that she had taken the drug this time to please her "worthless lover" (Bortis).
Despite the pleas of her friends at the inn, Tanis continues to take the drug. When the undeclared trade war between the Skyrrman and the Res aB'tyrr begins to escalate, regular customers are blocked from coming to the Res aB'tyrr and a large group of Marplet's men arrive. They begin calling for Tanis, who was last seen with Bortis.
Finally Taniscent appears on stage to dance, looking no more than sixteen or seventeen, thanks to a dose of Dragon's Blood Bortis talked her into taking. As she dances, the final, massive dose of Dragon's Blood wears off and she begins to age rapidly, to the jeers of her audience. In desperation, Cleppetty prepares to fetch the City Guards from a nearby district and asks Jame to dance, telling her to hold the crowd's attention until she can return. Tanis runs away that night.
Jame asks Patches to look for Tanis. She finds her, and Tanis stays with her family for a while. When Tanis develops a lung inflammation, Jame and Marc bring her back to the inn, and she dies in her own bed a few days later. 
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 God Stalk, Book I: Tatters of Dusk, "Chapter 2: The House of Luck-Bringers" — " 'I'm Taniscent, by the way—Tanis to my friends.' "
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 God Stalk, Book I: Tatters of Dusk, "Chapter 2: The House of Luck-Bringers" — " 'It temporarily restores youth—or the illusion of it—but the more often you take it the more you need, and the faster you age between times. Tanis started using it four years ago when she turned twenty and thought that age was ruining her dancing. Now she takes it because of that worthless lover of hers, who I suppose she's with now.' "
- ↑ God Stalk, Book I: Tatters of Dusk, "Chapter 3: Into the Labyrinth" — "Taniscent sighed and closed her eyes. With kohl running down in streaks to puddle beside her nose, she looked, if not hag like, at least thoroughly grotesque, and closer forty years old than twenty-four."
- ↑ God Stalk, Book III: Shroud of Days, "Chapter 13: Three Pyres" — "Early that night, Taniscent died. […] It was very hard to remember just then that Taniscent had only been twenty-five years old."
- ↑ God Stalk, Book II: Crown of Nights, "Chapter 6: Water Flow, Fire Leap" — "Taniscent mounted the table under the central chandelier, the applause of the audience dizzying her with delight. Oh, it was every bit as wonderful as Bortis had promised. […] Briefly, she wondered where her handsome lover was and why he had left her to wait for this moment of triumph alone."
- ↑ God Stalk, Book II: Crown of Nights, "Chapter 6: Water Flow, Fire Leap" — " 'Gone. Kithra left her untended to see how you were doing, and she slipped out. Betrayed, ruined, and replaced all in one night—no wonder she ran away.' "
- ↑ God Stalk, Book II: Crown of Nights, "Chapter 9: A Matter of Honor" — " 'I've just seen Taniscent. In the Lower Town. An old woman crossed the street ahead of me wearing Tanis's favorite shawl—you know, that ghastly orange and purple affair. […] She looked nearly eighty, all wrinkled and blotchy—half-senile, too, I think—but she knew me. […] She gave a panicky sort of bleat, and she ran.' "
- ↑ God Stalk, Book II: Crown of Nights, "Chapter 9: A Matter of Honor" — " 'Patches and her Townie friends have taken up the hunt. If they find Tanis and she isn't ready to come home, Patch says her mother will take care of her until she is.' "
- ↑ God Stalk, Book III: Shroud of Days, "Chapter 13: Three Pyres" — "except Taniscent, who had developed an inflammation of the lungs. It was for her sake that they had come. At last, the dancer was returning to the Res aB'tyrr."
|At the Res aB'tyrr|