Tieri was the daughter of Gerraint and Telarien. She was the sole survivor of the Knorth Massacre, sent into hiding in the Ghost Walks of Gothregor by Aerulan at the cost of the latter's life. She was taken care of and hidden by Adiraina, the Ardeth Matriarch. Unknown to others, Gerraint had given Gerridon, Master of Knorth, a contract with Tieri; Gerridon came to her in the Moon Garden, and Tieri bore a son, Kindrie.
Tieri was the youngest of Gerraint Highlord and Telarien's three children, and only daughter. Telarien died when Tieri was born. For this, she should have been blacklisted from breeding, but evidently was not. When Tieri was a year old, her brother Greshan was killed at Tentir. In a desperate attempt to bring him back, Gerraint contracted Tieri to Gerridon. He did not tell anyone then that her mother had died bearing her.
During the Knorth Massacre, her cousin Aerulan saved Tieri from the assassins, dying herself. Afterwards, her brother Ganth in his fury went to the Battle of the White Hills without knowing Tieri was still alive, and after the battle, he went directly into exile without returning to Gothregor. Tieri was the granddaughter of Kinzi, Adiraina's sister-kin, and for her sake, Adiraina hid Tieri in Kinzi's Moon Garden for the next 12 years. She told no one, not even the other matriachs, for fear that if the assassins knew she had lived, the would return. Years later, Adiraina wondered if part of the secrecy had come from her wanting to punish the girl for surviving with Kinzi had died. Adiraina finally told the the Council of Matriarchs that Tieri had even survived that long after Tieri died bearing her son Kindrie, who was believed by most to be illegitimate since no one knew of her contract with Gerridon.
- ↑ Blood and Ivory: A Tapestry, "Hearts of Woven Shadow" — " 'However, there is my daughter Tieri…' 'Who is only a year old!' Ganth burst out."
- ↑ Seeker's Mask, "Part I", IV — " 'A ghost she may be now, but she lived for twelve years after the massacre.' "
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Blood and Ivory: A Tapestry, "Among the Dead" — " 'Tieri has no child!' 'Not yet, but soon.' The scene in the mirror changed to a blur of white flowers and a sad young woman walking among them. A shadow fell across her and she turned. 'Tonight, in the Moon Garden, the contract that your father made so long ago with my lord Gerridon will at last be fulfilled.' "
- ↑ Blood and Ivory: A Tapestry, "Hearts of Woven Shadow" — "his mother, Telarien, dead less than a year with the birth of her last child—Tieri, a daughter."
- ↑ Bound in Blood, "Chapter IV: In the Moon Garden", I — "Gerraint was frowning. 'We are so few, and fewer still of our women are free to make new contracts. […] However, there is my daughter Tieri…' 'Who is only a year old!' Ganth burst out. […] 'Her age doesn't matter, […] Only her bloodlines. There are rooms in the Master's House where time barely crawls. He will retreat into one of them and await his… pleasure.' "
- ↑ Bound in Blood, "Chapter IV: In the Moon Garden", I — " 'the night that the shadow assassins came, Aerulan hid her and drew them off, to her own death. Things moved fast then. Ganth ran mad when he saw what he believed to be all of his womenfolk dead and away he marched with the Kencyr Host to collect their blood price in the White Hills.' ' "With the smoke of their pyres rising at his back." ' Lyra spoke as one reciting an old, well-known story. […] 'Anyway, by the time Tieri crept out of hiding, Ganth was on his way to exile.' 'So she was left behind, alone,' "
- ↑ Seeker's Mask, "Part I", V — "Had that long concealment really been necessary? What if she, Adiraina, had actually been punishing the girl for having survived when Kinzi had not? No, no, NO. 'I didn't have a choice,' she had protested to Dianthe, when at last the secret had to be told. 'You remember what those times were like. […] The assassins might have returned if they had known that any Knorth women had survived.' "
- ↑ Seeker's Mask, "Part I", II — " 'It wasn't Tieri's fault that her lord brother went directly from the White Hills into exile, without her. Aerulan had saved her from the assassins by hiding her in the empty halls. I tried to do the same when I concealed her in the Ghost Walks for twelve long years and told no one, not even this council, not until she died in the moon garden, bearing an illegitimate child to an unknown father, to her utter disgrace. She was sister-kin to me, the daughter of Telarien, the granddaughter of my dear, dead Kinzi.' "